Sunday, October 4, 2015

Beating Depression in Six Simple Steps: Light Therapy

This is the second of seven posts on beating depression without meds.  Share any one of my posts in this series on Pinterest or Facebook, and then let me know you've done so by commenting here on the blog.  Each share is worth one entry, so if you share each of the seven articles on both sites, you'll be entered fourteen times.  On November 8 I will draw the name of one lucky reader out of a hat for the grand prize: a NatureBright Sun Touch Plus therapy lamp!  


Who here remembers that '90s TV show, "Northern Exposure?"  Well, to be honest, I don't remember much of it either, because mom usually made us go to bed too early.  But the one episode I can recall centers on an Alaskan villager diagnosed with seasonal depression who is prescribed a light visor.  He goes around wearing it all the time and ends up so chipper that his friends decide he's overdosing--and they take it away.   My highly pragmatic mother (she of the early bedtimes) thought this was ludicrous.  "When was the last time you heard of someone getting too much sunshine," she asked.  "No way can you overdose on a light visor."  And as usual, mom was right.

Depression exists on a spectrum that ranges from the persistent (and sometimes even dangerous) symptoms of major depression, all the way down to the euphemistically labeled "winter blues," which about 20% of Americans report experiencing.  Wherever you or your loved one falls on this scale, the six steps Stephenen Ilardi outlines in The Depression Cure can improve matters.  We'll start with the light therapy, which consists of a vitamin D supplement as well as adequate exposure to bright light.

Why Light Therapy?
Light therapy is probably the most important element of our six steps to sufferers of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), because it goes to the heart of the problem: our brains and bodies need sunlight in order to function properly, and we don't get much of it in the winter.  Long story short: optical exposure to the kind of bright light produced on a cloudless, sunny day stimulates serotonin production, which increases feelings of well-being. Feeling better increases our likelihood of reaching out in social settings, which also increases feelings of well-being--and yes, social interaction is one of our six steps.  Light therapy also helps combat insomnia, a common symptom of SAD, and guess what--proper sleep is another of our six steps.  As you'll see in future posts, these steps are tightly interwoven so that they look less like steps and more like lifestyle.

A few years back, I had read The Depression Cure and was convinced that a light box would help me, but I just couldn't bring myself to pony up the $80 or more to get one.  After all, could it really make a big enough difference to justify the cost?  I dithered about it for a few months, and that's when my hero of a husband came in, surpising me with a NatureBright Sun Touch Plus for Christmas.

The effects were almost immediate, and honestly, they continue to be immediate.  The light box has become my first line of defense against depression, seasonal and otherwise.  Every time I feel myself sliding, I know I need to be more consistent about using it--and I always feel better within forty-eight hours of starting to use it again.

The light box is also phenomenal for sorting out circuaidian rhythms, which program our bodies to feel sleepy or awake at certain times.  Anytime I'm struggling with insomnia, or even when I want to start waking up earlier in the day--I start using the lamp first thing every morning.  I feel more awake all day; and then I sleep better at night, too.

Where Do I Start?
First you need to decide whether you even need a light box, because some people are able to get all the light they need just by being outside.  30 minutes of bright light is optimal, but keep in mind that we're talking about the bright light you get outside on a sunny, cloudless day.  The angle of the light is also important.  If you have ever visted St. George, Utah, you would say--with most of my family and friends--that I really shouldn't need a light box.  It never gets terribly cold, and it's sunny most days of the year.  But during the winter, taking time to be outside when the sun is high enough and bright enough can be a real challenge.  I love the convenience and consistency of the light box.

So assuming it's tough for you to get out in the winter, your first step is to get your hands on a good light box.  If you're still not convinced that it will help, see if you can borrow one.  And keep in mind that most sellers offer a money-back guarantee.  If you don't start feeling significantly better, you can always send it back.

Dr. Ilardi recommends a light box that emits at least 10,000 lux, positioned slightly above the head. Start with a half hour of exposure each morning, and then move down to fifteen minutes as you start feeling better.

During spells of terrible depression when even getting out of bed seems impossible, I put the light box right on the night stand.  Then all I have to do is turn it on and I'm on my way to feeling better. I'm doing pretty well mentally right now--so I have enough stamina to make it out of bed and all the way into the kitchen, where I have this setup:


(This is a great opportunity to get scripture study done first thing in the morning, too.) 

Also, don't forget your vitamin D supplement.  Depending on your doctor's recommendations, start at 2,000 IU of D3, and go up from there.

Christmas is Coming
Maybe you're just positive that a loved one needs one of these--and you're equally positive that they'll never buy it for themselves.  My dear friend's story is a lot like mine.  She wanted one, but her sick little mind told her that it might not be worth the expense.  A friend of hers heard about it, and soon a light box showed up on her doorstep.  She felt better within days.

I hope you will seriously consider finding a way to get this into the hands of someone who needs it, especially if you are that person. One lucky reader will win a free NatureBright light box just by sharing this post on social media!

This is the second of seven posts on beating depression without meds, based heavily on Stephen S. Ilardi's The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beating Depression Without Drugs.  I highly recommend you read the whole book to learn how best to implement this revolutionary treatment program.  Come back next week and learn how exercise out-performs anti-depressants. 

And just so you know...I'm not getting anything from NatureBright or from the publishers of The Depression Cure.  I just get a kick out of helping others beat depression.  Somehow it makes what I go through worthwhile.  Almost.  :)

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I shared on fb and pinterest!