Friday, April 1, 2016

So often when I'm in the midst of depression, I feel that I am defined by it--that this is the new me that everyone is going to have to get used to.  And I fight against that perception.  I fight by trying to be cheerful.  I fight by holding on to the things that used to be important to me, even when I'm not feeling it.  

But today I realized that when Jesus Christ introduced himself to the Nephites, some of the first words out of his mouth were to recount the agony he had passed through on their behalf: it had become one of his chief defining characteristics.

"And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying,
Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning."  3 Nephi, 11: 9-11
Of course, he exemplified bearing burdens in the best way; he became refined by them, and he used them to glorify the Father.

I'm trying to be like Jesus.  And that means that the weight I'm bearing is defining me in a way.  A good way.

1 comment:

T.J. said...

Wonderful insight! I never thought about how deeling with the hard things of life can be a positive part of our identity.

Your comments made me think of D&C 122:8 "The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?"

The verse not asking: Do you think you are better than Jesus? But is asking: Do you think you should be exempt from difficulty? The great exemplar, Jesus was not, so why would you expect to be.

After all, isn't the purpose of the refiner's fire to become like Christ?

Isaiah 48:10 "Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction."