Monday, March 23, 2015

I've been a lazy mom lately.  I get the kids through their chores and school stuff, I drive them where they need to be and I put band-aids on--all as quickly as I can so I can get to the "fun" stuff.  Concerts and dates and books and long baths.  When did my life become something to get over with or something to escape?

Tonight I felt the familiar Monday-night urge to get through family night as efficiently as possible so I could read the Georgette Heyer book I have downloaded on the Kindle.  But as I got dinner on the table, I said a quick, silent prayer for help in being a good mom.  And that help came from Eliza and TJ, who were raring to get the family out to the park on this beautiful spring night.  We left the kitchen dirty and took a couple of soccer balls out there.  We played random games, mostly in an effort to teach these poor athletically-challenged kids how to catch and throw a ball.  We laughed ourselves silly at their ridiculous efforts.  Most of the games, no-contact sports though the were, ended in wrestling matches on the soft, cool grass.  We spent longer than we usually do, and had way more fun than we usually do.  There is something so blessedly beguiling about being outdoors with the kids.  Time just seems to melt away when the dirty dishes are nowhere in sight.

The kids are getting to bed an hour late, and so I won't be reading tonight.  But I don't really care because I had more fun at the park than I could have had reading a book.  Imagine that!



Well, maybe I'll just read a little.  

No comments: