Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Miles to Go Before I Sleep

Sometimes you wake up at 4:30 in the morning and can't sleep anymore.  And all day your body and brain are screaming for sleep, but it happens to be the busiest day of the week, and you even have evening commitments which will keep you from getting to bed early as you'd like.  Sometimes the thought of making dinner, cleaning it up, talking to people, keeping your body upright, and staying in real clothes for another six hours just too much to bear.

At this point, a little Robert Frost goes a long way to console you.  And since it's your blog, you can be forgiven for being a little pretentious.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Feel free to memorize only the last four lines, like I did back in college, and periodically recite them to yourself when the five o'clock blues strike.  You'll feel noble and whiny at the same time.  It's wonderful.

1 comment:

The Bailey Family said...

I'm always looking for ways to feel noble and whiney at the same time! I love this.