Saturday, April 25, 2015

Book of Mormon Week--Day Seven

"It is inspiring to learn how Parley Pratt came to know of the book about which he wrote the words of this hymn. In August of 1830, as a lay preacher, he was traveling from Ohio to eastern New York. At Newark, along the Erie Canal, he left the boat and walked 10 miles (16 km) into the country where he met a Baptist deacon by the name of Hamlin, who told him “of a book, a strange book, a VERY STRANGE BOOK! … This book, he said, purported to have been originally written on plates either of gold or brass, by a branch of the tribes of Israel; and to have been discovered and translated by a young man near Palmyra, in the State of New York, by the aid of visions, or the ministry of angels. I inquired of him how or where the book was to be obtained. He promised me the perusal of it, at his house the next day. … Next morning I called at his house, where, for the first time, my eyes beheld the ‘BOOK OF MORMON’—that book of books … which was the principal means, in the hands of God, of directing the entire course of my future life. 'I opened it with eagerness, and read its title page. I then read the testimony of several witnesses in relation to the manner of its being found and translated. After this I commenced its contents by course. I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep.  As I read, the spirit of the Lord was upon me, and I knew and comprehended that the book was true, as plainly and manifestly as a man comprehends and knows that he exists.'"
President Hinkley told this story in General Conference in August 2005, but this was not the first time I heard the story.  I clearly remember hearing it as a small child, and marveling that a person could love a book so much that they could barely put it down to eat or sleep.  As an adult, i hear this story with a slight sense of guilt:  I often forsake real life for a day or two in order to read, but this has never happened with the Book of Mormon. 
The Book of Mormon has been a part of my life since I was a little baby.  Mom, who was a convert, and Dad, who was raised by less-active parents, were the best missionaries a little girl could have.  When I was seven, the stake president issued a challenge for all the members of our stake to read the Book of Mormon together every morning.  Mom and Dad, who had always pushed for family scripture study, now committed wholeheartedly to reading together every morning.  Years later this was put to the test when I left the house at six thirty for early morning seminary, and the whole family got up to read together first.  This kind of diligence in the face of saucy teens and grumpy toddlers taught me the importance of the book we were studying.  Moms' and Dad's testimonies of the truths it contained sank in deep.
And so, although I don't recall any heralding angels witnessing the truth of the Book of Mormon to me, yet I know it is true.  I have always known.  When I was little, I knew in a small way.  As I have grown, my testimony of the book has grown.  It forms the bedrock of my testimony.  It has taught me who Jesus Christ is.  I have come closer to Him and to our Heavenly Father by studying and acting on the things I've learned.  With Elder Pratt, I can truly say the Book of Mormon is the principle means by which the Lord has directed the course of my life.
The Book of Mormon truly is another testament of Jesus Christ.  He is all over those pages!  The Savior is referred to on average once every 1.7 verses.  A few weeks ago I finished a special study of the book, highlighting references to Christ, attributes of Christ, words of Christ, and the works of Christ.  It was my favorite study of the book, hands down.  I loved reading the book with my Savior in mind constantly.  2 Nephi 25:26 is one of my favorite verses highlighting the centrality of the Lord in this book:
And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children my know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.  
This book has given me strength to continue on in the face of adversity.  I have gained comfort from knowing that the Savior knows me and loves me even when depression or other difficulties cloud my vision of Him.  In this stunningly beautiful passage quoted by Nephi from Isaiah, I am reminded over and over again that the Lord's love for me is unfathomable:
But behold, Zion hath said:  The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me --but he will show that he hath not.  For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb?  Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.  Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
The Book of Mormon is a miracle in my life.  It has brought me to an understanding of the Atonement, which is key to peace in this life, not to mention salvation in the life to come.  I can't fathom where I would be today without the personal connection with my Savior provided by my study of the Book of Mormon.  It is true.  He does life.  He does continue to minister to his disciples and indeed, all of humanity today.  I bear this witness in His sacred name, Amen.

No comments: