Monday, April 20, 2015

Book of Mormon Week: Day Two

Book of Mormon Week:
Day Two


What's that?  You didn't know there was such a thing?  That's probably because I just made it up. And today I'm celebrating with a post that I should have done back in October.

Ezra finished the Book of Mormon, according to his plan, right before his 12th birthday last fall.  I don't know when I first finished reading the Book of Mormon on my own, but I'm pretty sure it was in my late teens--and the sad thing is that it wasn't a big enough deal for me to commemorate.  Where did this child come from, anyway?  He's up before us all every morning so he can read the Book of Mormon in peace--and I can tell the difference in him when he's consistent.  His life is easier and happier when he makes time for the Book of Mormon every day.
I asked Ezra to write down his feelings about the Book of Mormon in his journal, and I typed them here, with just a teensy bit of help in the spelling and punctuation department.
I finished the Book of Mormon when I was 11.  I noticed one thing--or now I notice one thing--how much influence pure intent really made.  I admit that sometimes I walked away from reading it with nothing; but when I truly searched with real intent, though i did not always find groundbreaking profound spiritual experiences, I found I was very happy and wished to do good although I never knew until now that scriptures had to do with it.  I believe a scripture in Galatians 5:22-23: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace; long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against which is no law."  And that goes with one of my favorite scriptures in Moroni 10:5: "And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."  I know that the Book of Mormon gives me the Holy Ghost in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  

You might be thinking I did this post just so I could brag on my awesome kid.  And, okay, you might be a little bit right.  I am proud, even though I shouldn't be.  Ezra's the product of two parents who want him to be better and happier than they were at his age, and that description fits most kids I know.  But mostly it's his divine parentage that has made him the fantastic kid he is.  I'm so glad that he is learning to be more like his Savior by reading from the Book of Mormon each day.  



Young men, the Book of Mormon will change your life.  It will fortify you against the evils of our day.  It will bring a spirituality into your life that no other book will.  It will be the most important book you will read in preparation for a mission and for life.  A young man who knows and loves the Book of Mormon, who has read it several times, who has an abiding testimony of its truthfulness, and who applies its teachings will be able to stand gainst the wiles of the devil and will be a mighty tool in the hands of the Lord.                                                                                                         -Ezra Taft Benson
What mother doesn't want these blessings for her son?


2 comments:

Kendra said...

Yeah, that is awesome! Maddie just finished this last week. She wanted to finish before August. I keep thinking to myself the same thing. "Where did this kid come from"? :)

Karen Dick said...

I love that girl! She takes after her awesome mamma!